We arrived on the Tuesday at 7 am and they took him to the OR at 8:20am. They checked in every hour letting us know how things were going. At about 10:30 we got notice he was on the heart lung machine and they were going to start the 6-8 hour repair. About 15 minutes later we saw the surgeon come and and he wanted to talk to us. He first assured us Joran was doing great and that the assistant surgeon was with him. Somehow, as the surgeon was reaching to get a tube (they put drainage tubes in his chest during and after surgery) he had an encounter with the scalpel that the lab tech was either still holding or had put on the tray with the tubing and sliced his hand. Basically, he was coming to tell us he couldn't do surgery! We sat there in shock! Joran had already been cut open, his ribs cut, all his organs moved, etc and now they couldn't do anything????WHAT!!! All the other three surgeons were in surgery or scheduled for a heart transplant later that day and couldn't do Joran's surgery. There was one preferred surgeon, the one who had sliced his hand because he had at least done the surgery Joran needed before. The procedure they are doing is rare and complicated.
So...they closed him back up and now he is in the ICU while everyone tries to figure out what to do. He still has about 7 IV's in, but he is awake and eating slushies while coming in and out of sleep.
Can I tell you how frustrating this is ? Jeff and I were both emotionally drained last night...the worst part is that from the surgery waiting room they just sent us to the ICU. I had Necia with me so couldn't go in...Jeff and I had to trade off yesterday. Everything has been remodeled since the last time we were there so here I stood in the middle of the hall with Necia and all the "stuff", tears rolling down my cheeks not even knowing where the waiting room was. It was a low point for me. We waited all afternoon for someone to even come and talk to us-nothing! Finally, the public relations person comes and talks with Jeff-they are worried about us suing I guess! I was livid...all we got was we will take good care of you, we are so sorry this happened, this has never happened before it's all new and we don't know exactly what to do. GREAT!
Our Cardiologist came by around 6pm with the thought that maybe Joran should go home and recover and the surgeon should recover and then try this again...WHAT! I had to walk away...are you kidding me!
They have these parents sleeping rooms off of the waiting room...they were all assigned by the time we even got to the ICU. The words of the public relations department rang in my head....we will take care of you...
So this is how we were taken care of...Jeff spent the night with Joran sleeping in a chair!
Here is Joran with his nurse Torrey...she was here when he was a baby and when he had his surgery at 9 months...his night nurse Beth was also his night nurse after his surgery at 9 months. That is so far the most comfort I have had through this entire thing!

The first thing that came to my mind when I read this, was everything happens for a reason. Have Faith Krista and Trust in the Lord and all things will work out for the best. You may look back years from now and be so grateful things occured this way. I love you! :) You are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteOh Krista!!! I am SO sorry! Can I do anything? I hope they fix everything.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I think I would have gone beyond "livid" to "postal." Prayers for all involved!!
ReplyDelete