Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Jeff's Surgery and Grandpa's Bus

Jeff's surgery
I guess I should start with Jeff's surgery. As some of you recall, Jeff had his right knee done back in December. It went fairly well so we thought before our insurance changed we better do the other knee (not just for fun-it was worse than the right). Anyway, the only day they could get him in was August 18th...the day after he was to go back to work. We didn't think too much about it since he was walking well the day after surgery last time.
When I met with the surgeon after surgery, he informed me Jeff's knee was worse than he thought. Jeff basically had no cartilage in his knee. To try and remedy this they drilled holes in his bones to fill with blood and form scar tissue to hopefully cushion the bones. I was thinking "gross!" but didn't think much about it until he said no weight on the leg for 6-8 weeks. I think I sat in a state of shock! He's looking at me saying he'll be fine on crutches or in a wheel chair for that long right? blahblahblah is all I heard after that first statement.
It wasn't a quick in and out like last time either... one of the meds they gave him made him very sleepy so he couldn't keep his oxygen and heart rate up where it needed to be to go home. He got really sick on the drive home...I was still in shock and my head just spun.
Once we got home he did fine. He ate a good dinner and went to bed and felt fine in the morning. He hasn't had any pain meds at all and is getting around pretty well. Connor has nicknamed him "crutchy". Since it is his left knee and he hasn't had pain meds he can drive himself around. The hardest part is getting in and out of the vehicle with crutches.
I did take a pic of Jeff after surgery...on my phone so until it comes off no pictures for this post.

Grandpa's Bus
After the sick incident on the side of the road (on the way home from the hospital) we came around the corner and saw a school bus parked just up from our house. Grandma Johnson had driven the Davis girls soccer team to play the Roy girls soccer team. The field is just up the street from our house so he thought he'd stop by.
He told the kids he'd let them look at his bus. This was a great blessing...you might think I'm nuts, but Joran gets so upset each year watching the others ride the bus. He was so excited I can't even express...he didn't show it in the pictures (he's noticed the others complain when getting their picture taken and has now started following).
All aboard...

Everyone on the steps for the picture


Joran sitting in his seat

Maren the rebel standing (my guess-the seats are too high to see over)


They had a fun time-Thanks Grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment